Friday, October 7, 2011

Auditing & the Gospel

For a living I listen to and help address people's problems. Not only do I do that, but I also routinely identify the problem that we need to work on. I'm not a therapist (though I believe I've been fantastically prepared by God to head in that direction). I'm an auditor. Not of the numbers sort - that would just about undo me. I don't have to deal with financials, thank you Jesus.  No, I audit in clinical research. Specifically, I make sure that the appropriate ethics and laws are followed in order to protect people who take experimental medications or use experimental devices.

I've been doing this a long, long time. Just under one-third of my life.  I will say that the vast majority of doctors that conduct clinical research do a good job.  The things I find during an audit are relatively minor and a result of a misunderstanding, not keeping good records, or benign human error.  After doing lots and lots of audits over the years, I've learned that there is just about nothing new under the sun. I've written the same findings numerous times.  I'll be honest in that it can get a little frustrating to have to write the same thing. Again. Sometimes for a person you've already said that to once. Or twice. Or maybe even more (the adage "if it wasn't documented, it wasn't done" applies here - some people just have a tough time keeping good notes, though they do the procedures fine).

I used to get really frustrated and angry at the people who didn't "get it right."  That is until God started opening up the gospel to me.

There are more than a handful of times that God has had to write the same finding over and over for me.  And He never says, "Geez, I wish she'd get it already." He just keeps on loving me, showing me my heart, and offering to complete necessary corrective action for me.  We're all like that, to be honest.  I mean, the nation of Israel serves to show us a series of the same audit findings over and over and over again.  As Matt Chandler says, there are only a couple chapters of good stuff in the Bible before it all goes wrong and sin enters the picture.  Then the findings of idolatry and pride start to show up. And God corrects His people. And they do okay for a minute. Then there they go again. Corrective action (humility, dependence on God) out the window and back we go to the same findings. Again.  And again. And again.

The gospel reminds me that I desperately need Jesus. I can't take the corrective action needed in my life. He has to take it for me, through the power of His Spirit. With each repeat finding, I'm reminded of my need and His patience.  Over time, He works the corrective action out. Theologically speaking this is "sanctification."

This understanding has changed the way I consider repeat audit findings. I'm a lot more compassionate and much less prone to groan about writing the same words. Again. Instead, I try to help educate people, help them understand the rationale for the corrective action, and effect real, lasting change.  It's also an opportunity to love them like Jesus loves me.

I'm a firm believer in that God uses all things for His glory, including our jobs. In my years in this industry (about 16 all together) I've learned a lot about Jesus through the circumstances I've encountered and the skills I've learned.  I'm thankful that Jesus shows me more of Himself through the profession He gifted me for and in which He placed me.

No comments:

Post a Comment