Monday, May 27, 2013

Learning to Live in Rhythm

You know it's pretty darn interesting when you're giving a presentation with a friend about a topic for which you have great passion. It's more interesting when something your co-presenter says during his section resonates in a way that is a little surprising. I knew what he was going to say. We talked through it... But in the moment I heard it live during our presentation it was like God pushed it way down deep.

The idea of that section was about not overdoing life - running yourself ragged and nearly killing yourself to get a given destination. I know that life all too well - I've lived it and it takes a great deal of paying attention to keep me from slipping back into it. And as I heard my friend talk I realized, "Shoot. I'm overdoing it. I've overcommitted. Again. Dangit." I realized I needed to stop and take stock yet again.

And I had to start saying no... Again. I had to look at what I had before me and choose which things would get my attention and which ones could not. And I had to say no to good things. Really good things. With people I dearly love. Ouch. That is such a hard thing for me. I hate saying no to people I care about. I worry they won't understand. I worry they'll be hurt.

Honestly, sometimes I suffer from FOMO - Fear of Missing Out. I want to be there to share experiences. I want to connect deeply with people. But there are only so many hours in the day. I can't possibly do everything I want to do. So, as hard as it is, I have to keep looking at what's on the table and determining who and what will get attention from me.

Thankfully, as I grow God shows me earlier that I'm overcommitting, before I hit raging crazy and burnout. I'm thankful for that as I learn to live my life in His rhythm.

1 comment:

  1. Well written as always. Rhythm is hard, I struggle with it myself, much more than I like to admit! Great post!!!!

    ReplyDelete