Monday, June 10, 2013

Souls Knit Together

I had the occasion early this morning, before work, to have coffee with my very best friend. This woman and I have lived some life together in the past decade plus. We've been through births, deaths, growth, joy, pain, and a myriad of other things side by side. She has seen me at my best and she's seen me at my shockingly worst. She's seen me argue with God, ignore God, and submit to God. We've been in the messy of life together and I am so thankful.

The time we get to spend together is soul filling. I completely understand 1 Samuel 18:1 (NKJV) where it says, "the soul of Jonathan was knit to the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul." This is how I feel about this friend. Through a work of the Holy Spirit our souls are knit together. And I need that, desperately need that. Today was a time of refreshing, a time of drinking deeply from Christ and enjoying each other. It was a time, after a week of travel, headed into work on a day that is very Monday, for which I was desperate. As I left I was reminded of Paul's words to the Philippians (1:3), "I thank my God upon every remembrance of you..." I am so thankful as I negotiate this day where there don't seem to be enough minutes, where more demands my attention than I have time to give, that God provided soul refreshment. He is a good God.

And so, I face this day refreshed and full. And thankful. Oh so thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment